How to Volunteer
The Steps To Become a Jimmy V Volunteer:
- Fill out a volunteer application. You can apply online. Create a user id and assign yourself a password, fill out your information, and submit it. Returning volunteers can sign in like last year and update their information. If applying online, you must pay the volunteer fee with a credit card. You will not be able to select a job and save that information without making a payment. Or, you can print an application, fill it out, and mail it to the address on the form, including your check for the volunteer fee. Applications submitted without a volunteer fee will not be considered.
- On the application, tell us what position you want. All open volunteer positions are described below. If you do not see the position you want, select Other and write what you want to apply for in the Preferences field.
- Once assigned, you will receive a postcard with your assignment and coordinator name.
- Attend training. You must attend one training session every year, even if you are an experienced volunteer.
- Pick up your shirt, hat, and pin. Since they are all given out at your training session, you can do both at the same time!
That's all there is to it! You will be on the V Team! You will be part of a nationwide effort to get rid of cancer in our lifetime. You will contribute to helping researchers make gains, which are happening every day. You will be keeping alive the dream that Jim Valvano had: to never give up, never ever give up!
Open volunteer positions:
Pound the stakes into the ground from tee to green on all holes. Ropes are then strung through the stakes. Placing the stakes is a physically demanding job. This volunteer is needed Thursday, Friday, and Monday (for takedown/cleanup) of the Classic. Because of its demands, you may volunteer for this position and work one, two, or all three days.
Inventory and Logistics
This volunteer position is responsible for transporting everything from our storage areas onto the course. Tables, chair, giveaway items: if it goes on course, this group takes it there. It requires a little strength, stamina, and the ability to drive a golf cart. This volunteer is needed on Saturday and Sunday.
This volunteer position is assigned to a specific hole and a specific section of the hole (tee, fairway, green). The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, controlling spectator noise during play (displaying "QUIET" or "HUSH" signs); ensuring spectators do not cross the rope boundaries, assisting players in finding golf balls, answering course specific questions for spectators. Prolonged standing and exposure to the weather is required. This volunteer will be needed on Sunday only.
Obtain food donations for volunteers and players. Organize and distribute volunteer lunches on Saturday and Sunday. Delivers beverages on course on Saturday and Sunday.
This volunteer position helps direct incoming spectators to the correct parking location and aids the parking process. They also direct the spectators to the bus pickup stop. Parking volunteers are stationed at the lot until they are needed at the main course later in the day. This volunteer is needed on Sunday only.
Security - Evening Events
This volunteer position can be assigned to many different areas. The primary responsibility is to provide a safe and secure environment for the evening events at the Raleigh Convention Center. Typical duties include validating event access and securing/loading auction items. The events include the Reverse Raffle on Friday evening and the Friday and Saturday night sponsor events.
Security - Sat/Sun Tournament
The primary responsibility is securing the golf course grounds before, during, and after play on Saturday and Sunday at North Ridge Country Club. Prolonged standing and exposure to the weather, lifting and/or other strenuous activity is required. Typical duties include traffic or crowd control, accompanying celebrities on course, and providing assistance as needed.
This volunteer position is assigned to the spectators (of course!). The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assisting spectators on the golf course by being an accurate source of information (location of celebrities, bathrooms, food area, etc.), assisting lost children, assisting in crowd control (ensuring spectators adhere to boundaries, for example). This volunteer may also be assigned to ride the buses from the remote parking areas during The Classic. This volunteer will be needed on Sunday only.
This volunteer position is assigned to a golfing team. The primary responsibility is to accompany the golfing party to which he/she is assigned, carrying a sign that lists the players' names and scores (known as a "standard"). This position requires WALKING the entire course and displaying the sign for easy viewing by the spectators throughout the entire round of golf. This volunteer will be needed on Sunday only.